We created UncommonGoods in 1999 to offer you original designs by independent makers. Products that express individuality and creativity, while also making a positive impact on people and the planet.
Now, we're pleased to introduce the Uncommon Collection—products that meet our very highest standards for design and social responsibility, and can only be found at UncommonGoods. Each product meets these five standards:
Uncommon Collection products are a clever integration of form and function or an expression of the maker’s individuality.
You’ll only find these products at UncommonGoods.
We do business with partners that share our values. Uncommon Collection makers pay all employees a fair wage. Uncommon Collection vendors' starting hourly wage averages 60% above the federal minimum and 40% above their state minimum, all starting hourly wages are a minimum of 90% of the MIT living wage, and vendors meet at least two of the following standards:
• Maintain a paid time-off policy
• Recycle all primary and secondary materials used in manufacturing and packaging
• Participate in a charitable giving programsee the collection
Every product we sell meets U.S. federal and state product safety standards. We hold our Uncommon Collection products to a higher standard for environmental impact. All products are made from one of the following:
• Natural Source Material—e.g. stone, wood, metal
• 3rd Party Certified Synthetic Material – independently verified that item is produced in accordance with fundamental benchmarks of environmental, social and ethical accountability
• Recycled, recyclable, or upcycled materialssee the collection
• Packaging that's neither excessive nor wasteful
• Packaging made primarily of materials that are partially or fully recycled, as well as compostable and/or recyclable.
• Keepsake packaging must provide added value that minimizes the chance it will be discarded.see the collection